The Cowlitz Casino & Entertainment Resort includes 354,000 square feet of mixed-use development on 152 acres for gaming, restaurants, entertainment, retail spaces, and parking for 3,000 cars. The key element to off-site infrastructure was the removal and replacement of the La Center interchange over Interstate 5.
Removing and replacing the existing La Center I-5 interchange was a massive undertaking, requiring demolition of the existing bridge and creation of a new bridge spanning I-5 with new on and off ramps. Additionally, two new roundabouts were built, consisting of 45,500 square feet of concrete pavement.
Overall, the project required:
- 75,000 cubic yards of earthwork
- 48,000 tons of aggregate base course
- 12,000 tons of AC paving
- 9,000 linear feet of storm drain
- 3,500 linear feet of guardrail
- 20,500 square feet of new sidewalk
- 4,000 square feet of new retaining walls
The project was so large, planning for it took over 10 years. Construction was completed in less than two years.